The general aims of mathematics education apply.
The entire course content is given below. Those parts given in italics are for Higher level only. The Higher level course includes the Ordinary level course treated in greater depth.
- Motion: displacement, velocity, relative velocity
- Newton’s laws of motion; acceleration
- Straight line motion; inclined plane; connected particles
- Equilibrium under concurrent forces
- Centre of gravity
- Pressure in liquids; Archimedes’ principle
- Projectiles; projectiles on inclined plane
- Angular velocity; uniform circular motion
- Conservation of momentum; direct collisions; oblique collisions
- Simple harmonic motion
- Rigid body motion; moments of inertia; angular momentum
- Differential equations: (a) first order, variable separable; (b) second order reducing to type (a).
There is a separate examination paper for Ordinary level and Higher level.
Leaving Certificate Applied Mathematics is included in the current NCCA review of mathematics education.