- To contribute to a balanced and appropriate general education at the Junior Cycle level, leading to the personal and social development of each student.
- To develop, in each student, habits and methods of investigation, analysis and problem solving at an appropriate level.
- To familiarise each student with technological developments in the business environment.
- To encourage initiative and develop self reliance in each student.
- To provide each student with an appropriate level of economic/business literacy
- To develop in each student a positive attitude to the creation of wealth and its distribution
- To provide a foundation for students which could lead to employment/further studies in the business field.
Section One: The Business of Living Section Two: Economic Awareness Section Three: Enterprise Section Four: Information Technology
The syllabus is assessed by means of a terminal examination paper at two levels, Ordinary level and Higher level in ascending order of difficulty.
Business Studies is one of syllabuses currently undergoing a re-balancing process, in a move towards presenting all junior cycle syllabuses in similar formats.